Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Embrace of Disharmony - Whispers from the Edge of Nowhere
03-04-2012, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 09:18 PM by Cjanz.)
Embrace of Disharmony - Whispers from the Edge of Nowhere

Embrace of Disharmony are one of those bands that presents a sort of conundrum when it comes to placing the genre they play. For the most part, you really just want to call it progressive metal, but there are thick and slow guitar tones going on here that are very reminiscent of some doom metal. In other places, the riffing is fast and heavy with a strong sense for atmosphere maintained throughout. Every once in a while you also get a slight feel for some traditional heavy metal; not to mention, the near-operatic vocals that are maintained throughout with a female dominance in accompaniment with a soothing male voice in the background. There are some occasional growls, as well. All in all, this is a mixed basket, and I'm happy to say that it's a refreshing one.

On Whispers from the Edge of Nowhere, Embrace of Disharmony are able to provide one of the most interesting takes on metal that I've heard. I've alluded to that already, but a good comparison to make might be that of a less technical/death-y version of Augury on their debut album, Concealed, with other near-comparable stylistic tendencies. When it comes to the instrumentation going on I cannot begin to praise it enough. Not only is it proficient, but it doesn't wear on the listener with wanky solos or ridiculous presence - varying enough and remaining fairly unpredictable. Some of the melodic aspects in conjunction with the oft-appearing cadenzas remind me of Opeth. In fact, for the very reason that all of the instruments are so interconnected, it would feel rather inappropriate to break down this EP as I usually would, element by element.

Instead, I think I'll just stick to the basics, here. I could always make this review overlong and describe every little aspect, but I think that it is important to establish a feel for all of it as you listen. As I write, "Dirge on a Soul Staring at the Stars" has begun and I feel as if I've been thrust into an abyss, searching for light. In fact, this is a fairly common aspect of the EP. There are many responsorial moments between instruments whilst each phrase is articulated by the story it tells. At the very least, you will certainly feel like you've embarked on some sort of journey for each individual piece of music presented. In many instances it can feel very classical, as if it were one work broken up into different movements. I'm not sure if that was intentional, but it certainly gives off a vibe of being a continuous work. In any case, I would be surprised if listeners didn't feel immediately connected to the journey as the first song, "Hades" begins.

With all the praise, I suppose I have to touch on what I think this album could improve upon. First off, I feel as if there are moments during each song that feel rather drawn out. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be distracting at times. It reminds me of that video on YouTube where that guy is trying to give guitar lessons and he just keeps telling his student, "LESS NOTES!" It's not really a superfluous presentation, it just feels like it could be more impacting if the focus were directed into something less dense with drifting melodies. Additionally, one might have to get used to the vocal approach, but if you know that this really is progressive metal, you shouldn't be too turned off. I would simply state that a die-hard, no-frills death metal listener might be less inclined to enjoy it if they are looking for continuous and gutteral growling. All of this just means that the album isn't instantly accessible, and that there are aspects that can take multiple listens to appreciate. For me, that doesn't dictate a five-star experience, but it also doesn't detract very much from the music, in principle.

All in all, if you truly want a progressive metal experience, look no further than this EP. I can see this band taking their music very far, and if there are any tracks you *must* hear, I would recommend "A Descent into Maelstrom," "Dirge on a Soul Staring at the Stars" and "Hades." My final rating stands at 4/5 stars.

Seen Live: Stolen Babies, Paradise Lost, Devin Townsend, The Faceless, Job For A Cowboy, Dying Fetus, Opeth, Katatonia (x2), The Black Dahlia Murder, Marasmus, Gornography, Wretched, Impending Doom, 3 Inches of Blood, Hour of Penance, Nile, All Shall Perish, Cannabis Corpse, Born of Osiris, The Contortionist, Scale the Summit, Anciients, TesseracT
03-04-2012, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 09:02 PM by Chris_metal.)
RE: Embrace of Disharmony - Whispers from the Edge of Nowhere
I'll try this one, but I'm not really sure. The Augury comparison worries me, as I really don't like them. We'll see.

Actually, this seems pretty damn awesome. DLing the EP nao. SHa_biggrin

Favorite extreme metal albums:

Favorite non-metal albums:

03-04-2012, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 09:17 PM by Cjanz.)
RE: Embrace of Disharmony - Whispers from the Edge of Nowhere
Take that comparison with a grain of salt. One of the few things I could think of instrumentally that was even remotely similar...if at all.

Seen Live: Stolen Babies, Paradise Lost, Devin Townsend, The Faceless, Job For A Cowboy, Dying Fetus, Opeth, Katatonia (x2), The Black Dahlia Murder, Marasmus, Gornography, Wretched, Impending Doom, 3 Inches of Blood, Hour of Penance, Nile, All Shall Perish, Cannabis Corpse, Born of Osiris, The Contortionist, Scale the Summit, Anciients, TesseracT

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Linkedin Technorati Twitter Digg MySpace Delicious